Collecting Personal Information
- names, titles, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses and other contact information;
- information that AstraZeneca sales representatives may collect during visits with healthcare providers, such as: areas of practice or specializations; qualifications and professional credentials; publications; questions, comments or opinions about our products; and other information relevant to establishing and maintaining our relationships with healthcare providers;
- the names and contact information of patients who use our products and their healthcare providers and, in certain limited circumstances, personal health information and medical histories of patients (AstraZeneca Canada may use third party service providers in some circumstances to administer certain programs and the service provider will collect the personal information on AstraZeneca Canada's behalf but AstraZeneca Canada will not have access to the personal information);
- the necessary information to make adverse drug reaction reports to Health Canada, which information is generally recorded using an initial for a patient rather than the patient's name;
- names and contact information of healthcare providers involved in clinical trials and information relating to their professional qualifications and experience as required by regulation;
- information about patients participating in clinical trials and clinical trial data collected during clinical trials, which information is protected using an identifier for a patient other than the patient's name (e.g., initials, numbers);
- other information, with your consent or as permitted or required by law.
Using Personal Information
- establishing, maintaining, and managing relationships with healthcare providers, customers and other individuals that we deal with in the course of our business;
- conducting and evaluating clinical studies and related research and development, and otherwise developing and improving our products;
- providing advice, assistance and recommendations to healthcare providers with respect to our products to meet healthcare provider needs;
- providing healthcare providers with clinical evaluation packages;
- establishing and sponsoring educational or other programs and administering health condition awareness/management or similar programs;
- responding to feedback, questions, comments, requests, inquiries, complaints, or reports of adverse event reports about AstraZeneca Canada products or services;
- generating adverse drug reaction reports or other reports required by regulatory bodies;
- notifying individuals about product-related matters, including product recalls;
- marketing AstraZeneca Canada products and services;
- administering contests, promotions, surveys, quizzes or polls;
- maintaining business records for reasonable periods and generally managing and administering our business including defending and bringing legal actions;
- meeting legal, regulatory, insurance, security and processing requirements; and
- otherwise with consent or as permitted or required by law. Disclosing Personal Information AstraZeneca Canada discloses personal information in the following circumstances:
- to regulatory agencies as required by law or in order to meet the regulatory requirements of AstraZeneca's legitimate business purposes; and
- otherwise with consent or as permitted or required by law.
Our website and the Internet
IP Addresses and Server Logs
AstraZeneca Canada does not link server log information to any other data in a way that would enable us to identify individual visitors. However, we may review server logs for security purposes, for example, to detect intrusions into our network.
Other websites to which the AstraZeneca website provides links are governed by different privacy policies. AstraZeneca Canada does not assume responsibility for the content or information practices of these other websites, and we strongly encourage all web visitors to review the privacy statements and policies of all externally-linked sites.
If an individual is not capable of consenting to the collection, use or disclosure of his or her own personal information, consent must be obtained from the person who is legally entitled to consent on behalf of the individual.
You may withdraw your consent to our collection, use and disclosure of personal information at any time, subject to contractual and legal restrictions and reasonable notice. Note that if you withdraw your consent to certain uses of your personal information, we may no longer be able to provide certain of our products or services. AstraZeneca Canada will inform you of the implications of withdrawing consent. In certain circumstances, you may not be permitted to withdraw consent to certain necessary uses and disclosures of the personal information for which your consent was originally collected.
AstraZeneca collects, uses and discloses your personal information with your consent, except as permitted or required by law. We may be required or permitted under statute or regulation to collect, use or disclose personal information without your consent, for example to comply with a court order, to comply with local or federal regulations or a legally permitted inquiry by a government agency, or to collect a debt owed to us.
The methods of protection include:
- physical measures (e.g., locked filing cabinets and restricted access to desks);
- organizational measures (e.g., security clearances and limiting access on a "need to know" basis); and
- technological measures (e.g., the use of passwords and encryption).
- Authorized AstraZeneca Canada employees, agents and mandataries may have access to your personal information as required to fulfill their responsibilities to AstraZeneca Canada.
Access and Correction
Accountability for compliance by AstraZeneca Canada with privacy policies and procedures rests with the Privacy Compliance Officer, even though other individuals within the company may be responsible for the day-to-day collection and processing of personal information. In addition, the Privacy Compliance Officer may, from time to time, designate one or more other individuals within the company to act on his or her behalf, including representatives from all areas of the business.
The contact information for AstraZeneca Canada's Privacy Compliance Officer is:
Privacy Compliance Officer
1004 Middlegate Road
Canada L4Y 1M4
Tel: 1-800-565-5877 (ext. 44883)